Creative vs. Controlled Space

On the green line at Arlington recently I saw an interesting sign on the wall of the platform. (Unfortunately I didn't see it until we had started pulling away from the station, and was therefore unable to snap a quick picture.) The sign read "Performance Area: MBTA Permit Required." At first I thought well that's nice, that the MBTA is allowing street performances to take place in the subway as the weather gets colder. However, as I thought about it a bit longer I noticed the dilemma lying beneath the surface. By allowing a particular space to perform, is the MBTA allowing creative space or controlling it? Is the presence of this performance area a step forward or just another way the authorities are controlling space? Just a thought.

-- Jillian

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment