Ironic irony

Going back to our discussions about hipsters way back when, I found a post I thought you all mind find amusing. On my feed this afternoon was this status update:

"Not a huge fan of the following:
Twilight
Starbucks
iPhones and super sweet f***in' apps
Twitter
... Harry Potter movies
people who label themselves
Labels
Malls
Politics
Religious Zealots
my Stepmother
Pop-punk and/or modern hardcore
Improper spelling and poor usage of the English Language

...among many other things. If this is a problem with you, then by all means remove me from your Friends List. That is all"
(The "f***" edit was mine)

I find this post to be incredibly ironic. Here my friend (who is, by the definitions we've set down, a sort of grunge hipster) is lashing out against major corporations and "main stream" ideas. Of course...the post was on his (very actively used) facebook. While I don't think this is the irony he was going for (he later commented that his goal in posting this was to "enrage people enough to delete" him because he was "far too lazy" to go through his friends list and delete people himself), I definitely feel like his medium clashes with the ideals he is throwing out there.

That brings into question the identity of a hipster. To be a true hipster does one have to give up all "main stream" things, like facebook? Or is there a balance to be found? Are there different levels that make one "more" or "less" of a hipster? This particular friend blatantly expresses hatred for twitter, yet uses facebook on a daily basis. Where are the lines drawn?

Just a thought.
-- Jillian

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment