Double Standards

Today on the T I sat next to a fairly stereotypically angry old man. He was ranting about how he didn't believe in racism, but rather "keeping it in his own race." He talked about how he would never procreate with someone of another skin color. He got onto this topic by telling the girl across from him how beautiful she was and how at his age he had finally come to understand how important it was to only "procreate with your own" and how she should always remember that.

As a white girl sitting next to this black man, I was incredibly offended. It was literally all I could do to not turn to him and inform him how his blatant racial statements were absurdly hypocritical, and that if I made even one similar statement I would be considered not only a racist, but a white supremacist.

We talked about race very little in this class, but I thought that this display of the double standard of race is an interesting one in relation to the city. Racism is, unfortunately, everywhere in our society, but I think it's particularly interesting to think about in an urban setting. Does racism blossom in the city, as urban settings are generally home to more minorities? Or does it diminish, for the same reason? While it's a touchy topic, I think it's fascinating to think about, and I do wish we had had more time to discuss this incredibly influential part of urban life.

-- Jillian

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment