Graffiti Through the Ages...

I know this is a few classes late, but this past weekend my mom came to visit me and we went to the Day in Pompeii exhibit at the Museum of Science. (It was really interesting, and I definitely recommend it!) The exhibit showed all different areas of Roman life that were discovered preserved in Pompeii, from petrified bread to gladiator armor. In one section, I came across a few slabs taken out of a street-side wall. Along with the stones, there were descriptions of the graffiti on them. Apparently, graffiti was as common in Roman cities as it is in cities today! The signs explain that graffiti was usually written (not done in pictures), and could say anything from political slogans to "Joanie loves Chachi" (though probably with different names). I took a few pictures, and I hope they're decipherable. Just thought it was interesting to see that graffiti has been LONG associated with urban living!!











-- Jillian

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment