Tom Burkland


This sign is located on the front lawn of the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) and it caught my attention for some reason although I've walked by it countless times in the past without even seeing it. Society's stereotypes say that "Art" is for the bourgeoisie*, and that "street art" is for the people outside of this population.  In other words, I feel that the labeling of graffiti as "street art" implies that it is different and "less than" anything considered to be "art." It seems to me that the character depicted in this sticker is making a snooty face that I saw was contrasted to the sign.  Street art in public spaces is very susceptible to being removed by the city or tagged over by other writers; whereas, works deemed "art" in the traditional sense are protected for ages in museums or the private collections of wealthy individuals.  

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment