Daniel Hewes- Occupy.... Great Barrington?






This past weekend I was driving through the Great Barrington in the Berkshires and came across this protest. The sight struck me for a few reasons. The Berkshires is a very rural part of the state. Great Barrington is a small town with a small main street and not much activity. In class we've been been heavily focusing on these protests in very urban areas; NYC, DC, SF, Boston, etc. It was a complete 180 when I saw it in such a small town. There were no news stations, no press, and little coverage. They wont make the nightly news or make it into any major newspapers. But theyre there, trying to voice their opinions to whoever might be driving through the small town. We sometimes forget that there are residents in these small, quiet, rural towns who arent in big cities who feel a need to protest. They are geographically more isolated than the locations we see in the media. It was quite a sight, and forced me to pull over and snap a few pictures. As I drove by back home, I honked a few times to show support, and I have to admit it was pretty cool when they all cheered at me. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment