You Are What You Eat

I chose to place my sticker on the garbage/recycling can both inside of the building where our class is held and outside the Snell Library.  I wasn't quite sure where the perfect place this sticker would fit, at first settling with a wall on Newbury Street, it eventually dawned on me that the perfect place for this sticker would be the recycling bin I pass on my way to class.  Examining this sticker, I realized there was a deeper meaning to this funny little blob of a character.  I feel this sticker says, "you are what you eat."  The white blob, so content and fat, is chomping on a watermelon.  Meanwhile, A knife is slicing his head open revealing that inside he is actually a watermelon as well.  I found this interesting.  On the other hand, I feel this sticker also plays into the idea of greed.  Even though he is fat and full, literally made of watermelon and watermelon dripping from his face, he still continues to eat it.  The recycling bin I felt was a perfect spot for this character because the bin encourages the conservation of resources.  We reuse items that we throw away, reminding me of the idea that "you are what you eat" because these resources are in a circulation of constant use and reuse, becoming a part of our lifestyles.  On the bin outside Snell, I placed him on the head of the man throwing something away.  This would make a difference in this place because it would inspire people to not put things to waste.  On the other hand, this sticker can be seen as contradicting or almost paradoxical because recycling encourages people to reduce their waste while the little white blob seems overwhelmingly greedy and glutenous.  

-Katie



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment