A New Cult (Sticker Project), Sam Freedman

Although I don't have an image, I assume many of you saw where I placed my sticker (on the stairwell leading down to our classroom in the dungeons of the library). I put my sticker here because I wanted to play with the themes of public/private as well as the unspoken, psychologically-binding mentalities that encode various cultural groups (i.e. Hipsterism). The image [sticker] only means something to those of us in ANTH2350; the significance for other students, professors, and janitors (who will perhaps be charged with removing the sticker at some future date) is nonexistent save each individual's unique interpretation of the image's content [itself]. Because of our class assignment, the sticker has become imbued with meaning, with a story and correlating details to which only a small percentage of the viewing public has access. The placement of the sticker thus becomes an agent of cultural segmentation, whereby those of us who recognize the story behind the image are assembled, gathered, and 'cult-ified'- we form, in spite of any nascent intentions, a selective, insular body within the overarching cultural matrix.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment