Julie Giles

I chose this sticker originally because it reminded me of a face I make a lot: a face of indifference or incredulity. I make this face when something makes me go “Really?” or “Oh come on.” This, apparently is something I do a lot, a fact I was only aware of after picking up this sticker. Anyways, I was hoping to use this sticker to express that feeling. I wanted to find a sign or something on the street that made me make this face myself.
As I boarded the train the other night, I was sitting with my feet up on the seat sifting through my bag. I looked over out of the window and just below the window was a miniature sign that said “Please keep feet and parcels off the seats.” Naturally, I internally asked Really?! and took my feet and bag off the seat with the same face that I always make. Then it clicked. I took out the sticker and snapped the picture.
As I sat there thinking about it, I realized this was exactly the place I had hoped for the sticker to go. I enjoyed the idea of the sticker reflecting the attitude I, and probably many others, have towards this sign. I also find meaning in the sticker being on the train. The train is a cold, baron, space we used to get from one place to the other. No one even attempts to make this space a place (I know it’s a train but go with it) except for AT&T who has plastered their posters on either end of the train. The sticker brings some meaning to the monotonous environment. It also brings the city out of the city. One can be on the train to leave the city and see this sticker and feel  a tie to the city they are leaving behind. The train is not only a mode of physical transportation, but also transportation for the feelings and memories you left in the city.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment