Make Way For Ducklings

When I saw the sticker I was immediately drawn to it because of how goofy the picture was –a person sitting on a duck that was crying. I decided to put it in the “Make way for Ducklings” statue at the Boston Public Garden by Boylston Street. Although it would be no form of political resistance, I felt that adding it there could potentially change the space. When I got to the statues, I stuck on my sticker and went into my bag to grab my camera. As I was doing this, a little boy climbs on top of the big duck even though his mother was telling him that he is not supposed to doing that. I found this a perfect opportunity to take a photo of the boy while he sat there. To me, it seems as though the sticker adds a feeling that sitting or climbing on the ducks is not allowed or wrong even though this is a public space and this is a public statue. It is as though the sticker says “this duck will be sad and cry if you straddle him”. What was originally intended to be a silly “I am here” form of graffiti, one that has no meaning but makes people take a second look, now as a different interpretation if the statue and sticker is seen with a child or other tourists sitting on top of it.




  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Allison said...

-Allison

Post a Comment