Street Art Assignment

I placed my sticker on a lamp post that is attached to the roof level of the columbus parking garage. The lot was completely empty when I was up there--it was a bit eerie. While I didn't choose a high traffic area to put the sticker, I have always been artistically oriented and thought I would play with the idea of proportion (in both the pictoral and the metaphorical sense).
The view from the top of the garage is remarkably scenic. When you're on the roof of any building in Boston (or any city for that matter), there is this sensation of omnipotence. It's as though because you can see the whole city, the whole city can somehow see you. The sticker and lamp post seems so large up against the city backdrop, which visually replicates that invigorating sensation from looking out at the city from the rooftop of a building.
I now see why many street artists choose to write on high up places (like in Exit Through the Gift Shop when Shepard Fairey is shown placing numerous prints on roofs of buildings and on highway overpasses). Not only does this accomplish the task of giving a voice to the voiceless, it places the message literally above where the craziness of everyday urban life occurs. It's as though the message will somehow trickle down to the streets, which to me is a very cool concept.
So my placement of the sticker on this lamp post accomplishes my attempt to give meaning to an otherwise meaningless lamppost on a parking garage. It now invites whoever sees it to think about how they see themselves compares to the city, and it tempts them to think bigger and not be overwhelmed by the size of the city. It allows for me to feel important as the writer for getting attention, and it also allows people to indulge in that momentary rush of looking down at a city and feeling as though you are floating above it. It's also just a nice view.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment