So The Gleaners and I movie last week reminded me a lot of this film we watched in Environmental Science last year that talked about a subculture of people who call themselves "freegans" (from the word vegan). The movie did interviews with a few members of the subculture and followed them around Chicago as they picked through garbage cans outside grocery stores to find food that was being thrown out even though it was still good. The idea of it really impressed me, even though I'd never been able to live like that. The food they found was all legitimate though -- none of it had gone bad yet. Here's the link to the website that kind of connects the freegan community. I thought it fit with the film by showing a sort of urban form of gleaning.
http://freegan.info/

-- Jillian

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment